Deeply in Debt

Back to Article
Back to Article

Deeply in Debt

Eve Abboud, Contributor

“The cost of college education today is so high that many young people are giving up their dream of going to college, while many others are graduating deeply in debt,” said presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Imagine all of the students who want to go to college, who study so hard everyday and pass high school with flying colors yet can’t get the money to pay for college. College should be a right, not a privilege.

People who are born into less fortunate families often can’t go to college because they can’t pay for it; it shouldn’t be that way. There should be free community colleges throughout the United States. Statistics show that if the United States had a better-educated population that the U.S. economy would grow much faster. More educated people would equal more breakthroughs in academics, and evidently, that would mean the country would be making more money in total. College often leaves students in debt, which stops them from pursuing their careers. In 2015 the student loan debt was about $1.3 trillion. At colleges, students have a hard time completing their studies because they’re either working to pay off their debt or are too busy worrying about it.

How will the U.S. pay for free community colleges? That’s actually pretty easy considering the U.S. spends $601 billion on the military. If college were available free, it would cost $75 billion which would leave the U.S. with $524 billion to spend on military. China, which spends the second most on its military, only spends $171 billion. The United States tends to spend money on things that we don’t need. The U.S. spent $2,500,000 on a super bowl commercial, $35,000,000 on ghost clinics (fake clinics made by criminals), $765,828 on pancakes, $862,000 on unused furniture, and the list goes on. The point is that imagine how much money the government would have if it didn’t spend it on stuff the U.S. doesn’t need.

Countries such as Germany, Norway, Sweden, and Brazil are already offering free community college, so what stops the United States from being the next? Imagine how many people have to cut their dreams short because they can’t go to college. Imagine how much better the United States would be if college were free.