Are Superheroes Good Role Models?

Eve Abboud, Contributor

“Kids can look up to and learn from superheroes because outside of their costumes they are real people with real problems and vulnerabilities” said Francesca Moresi, a therapist in London (Moresi). Superheroes have taught people perseverance, justice, and that it’s okay to be sidekicks. Yet, incessant violence and stereotypical men have made appearances in superhero movies. Are superheroes still good influences?

In Spiderman Homecoming, the main character; Peter Parker is a stereotypical loser. He gets picked on, loves video games, and likes a popular girl. The movie revolves around a cliched high school plot, but people loved it because they could relate to Peter. Like the end of all cliche movies , Peter asks popular Lizto go to prom with him, and she says yes. “Spiderman” teaches people that you don’t need recognition to be a superhero.

“Watching superheroes beat up villains may not be the best image for boys to see if society wants to promote kinder, less stereotypical male behaviors,” says Francesca Moresi. Classic comic superheroes are much different than the ones today.  Sidekicks have become scarce in recent movies. Older TV shows, movies, and comics of Batman and Robin teach kids that you don’t always have to be in the spotlight. However, in recent movies sidekicks are not included.  Some people  worry that male superheroes are not the best role models. With violent attitudes, unrealistically perfect muscles, and super senses, people worry that they are not good  role models for children.

This doesn’t make superheroes bad. Writers have already made kid-friendly TV shows that don’t have as much violence as a PG-13 movie and have created  female superheroes that embody all the characteristics that any other hero has. Batman promises to not kill anyone, Superman to save civilians, and Wonder Woman to protect humanity at all costs. So are superheroes good influences? While they may not be the same as they used to, superheroes do teach morals, bravery, and perseverance to children everywhere.