Kanye West: Genius or Mad Man?

Isabella Concordia, Contributor

Kanye West is either a groundbreaking creative genius or an insane mad man; it depends on who you ask. His controversial tactics and rants over the years tend to cloud his true talent. Is Kanye West out of his mind or a man misunderstood?

Kanye West has never been one to conceal his feelings.  West has built up a bad reputation over the course of his career, pulling stunts, such as storming out of the American Music Awards in 2004 when he wasn’t voted Artist of the Year, stating that George Bush didn’t “care about black people”; appearing on the cover of Rolling Stone in a crown of thorns; interrupting Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the VMA’s to broadcast  his outrage that Beyonce did not win the award for best female video;  and finally, comparing himself to Michael Jordan, Steve Jobs, and Jesus.  It’s easy to see why some people don’t like him, but despite all this there is more to West than what meets the eye.

If you look past the abrasive tone he uses to express his feelings, what he says actually makes sense. The bottom line is that Kanye West cares. He cares about the kid getting bullied because he doesn’t have a cool outfit. He cares about the people being restrained of their potential. He cares because all he really wants is to make the human race better while he’s on earth. On “The Ellen Show” in mid 2016, West went on to say, “We got 100 years here. We’re one race – the human race – one civilization. We’re a blip in the existence in the universe and we’re constantly trying to pull each other down. I feel I can make a difference while I’m here.” He took over the show to preach his “realness,” leaving Ellen and her audience speechless.

For the Atlanta born rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur, innovation seems to run in his veins. Kanye West will continue to touch lives and break boundaries with his art for generations to come. Despite his outlandish behavior, Kanye West is a genius.