The Playoffs are the Reason for the Season!

Dylan Bourgea, Contributor

People love to watch football. When your favorite team doesn’t win often, they end up fighting for a coveted spot in the playoffs. Only twelve teams get a spot in the postseason. If the team that you root for routinely under achieves and has a negative record, then you have a slim chance at making the playoffs. Some teams needed miracles this year. Some of those teams’ prayers were answered. For others, their postseason chances were stopped dead in their tracks.

It’s not easy to make the playoffs. The Eagles, Steelers, Vikings, and the Patriots beat all but three of their opponents this season, going 13-3. Those four teams have the top spots in the NFC and AFC. The Cleveland Browns have not had a winning season since 2007 and haven’t been in the playoffs since 2002. They didn’t break any good records, but a bad one did come their way. The Browns went 0-16. The 2008 Detroit Lions are the only other team since 2000 to go through a winless season. The Pats ended their season great, beating the Jets 26-6. The Buffalo Bills’ playoff hopes rested in the hands of the Cincinnati Bengals, as they needed to beat the Baltimore Ravens for the Bills to get into the postseason. The Ravens also needed to win to make it into the playoffs. After the Bills won, they waited until the Bengals-Ravens game ended to know if they had made the playoffs or not. The Bengals were losing by four with less than a minute left. Then, Andy Dalton threw a perfect pass to Tyler Boyd, who then ran into the endzone. The Bills were ecstatic. This playoff appearance shattered the playoff drought that had plagued the Buffalo for seventeen years.

For some teams, they have to start practicing for next season. For others, they are working to get to the biggest game in football, the Super Bowl. The playoffs have begun, and one team–the Patriots or the Eagles– will win Super Bowl 52 in Minnesota. Even though the Bills had a miracle game to get into the postseason, they couldn’t beat the Titans to continue.  This is the reality for most football teams: a season without a reason.