Bring back Jawsome — It’s Common Sense

Beckett Van Essendelft, Contributor

Jawsome hour wasn’t introduced for social purposes. But when it was proposed, it was advertised as an aspect of a deal to enrich students’ lives. As time progressed, however, the attitude of Jawsome shifted to an opportunity for clubs to meet during the day, students to catch up in classes, and/ or socialize. Towards the end of my freshman year the school decided to run a prototype of the eventual Jawsome hour. This was labelled a power hour. Power hour, while beneficial, led to a large influx of students walking the halls and disturbing those who decided to use their time wisely. A final statement was made that addressed this problem: if you abuse it, it will be taken away. Personally, my experience with power hour was one that was centered around settling in a room day after day and eating or doing homework. This provided a perfect scenario for me both academically and socially. I, much like other students, had been able to finally balance academics, sports, and a social life.

Throughout the entirety of my sophomore year, numerous adjustments were made to the now punnily named “Jawsome hour”. As I remember, we had Jawsome from the first day of school to the last day last year. Now I’m not here to completely denounce the current stance on Jawsome because both sides have at least one valid point. But as you read on, you’ll see my natural bias as a student who has experienced the snuffed life of Jawsome hour.

Jawsome hour was very beneficial for everyone. There was a very slim amount of actual issues with it. One of these was the mobs of students that wouldn’t go to classrooms or sit in the cafeteria but instead preferred to wander the halls and talk. This wouldn’t have been a problem if the number of these clusters wasn’t so great. The faculty responded to this with the now infamous, “You need to be somewhere” catchphrase that was spoken by so many teachers that it has almost become an ironic statement among my friends and me. This was a valid point, like I said. But this wasn’t an actual action that was taken to address the issue. This evolved into the threat of revoking Jawsome. While Jawsome was a privilege, it isn’t the most beneficial decision to treat it like dessert to a tantruming toddler. There were, and still are students, that could use Jawsome effectively and in some cases relied on it completely to even get by academically.

Let’s assume the average student enrolls in one or two AP courses, would prefer to enroll in honors classes over CP, and is a member of an extracurricular group like sports, theater, chorus, or any club. This student has much to do. Many forces pressure them to meet deadlines and do well on assignments. An overall feeling of performance is instilled in this student. Jawsome was a multi-faceted opportunity for this student to do many things. When Jawsome 2.0 was introduced I, like many other students, was hopeful and glad that this seemed to be the same thing as Jawsome but with a better fail-safe in keeping those who wandered in place. The policy of a 79 or below grade mandating you to attend that block as a study hall was a productive move on the part of the staff and admins. But it truly is a shame that what dictates the survival of what I believe to be a crucial aspect of my learning environment is a contract disagreement. Teachers deserve time for lunch and some compensation for extra enrichment. In closing, it isn’t contracts–it’s common sense.. Bringing back the classic Jawsome hour would be the most beneficial decision for the student body.