English Teacher’s Eyes on Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

English Teacher’s Eyes on Life

Jordan Charlot, Contributor

Lisa Forte-Doyle is a writer at heart and loves the English language. Mrs. Forte- Doyle is a teacher at Monomoy Regional High School, a wife. and a mother of two sons. She has been teaching for twenty-six years of her life. As a child, Lisa grew up in the Bronx in New York City. Her father was a teacher and her mother, an artist. On Mrs. Doyle’s homepage on the Monomoy website, Doyle says, “I entered the ‘family business’ of education.” Mrs. Forte- Doyle writes, “The family business meant my father was a teacher, then a guidance counselor, and my son is teaching.”  Her family lived in an old, poor apartment with no elevator. By the time Lisa was seven years old, everyone in her family had been mugged. She says, “We used to go to church, but by the time I was six, it became too dangerous to walk there and we didn’t have a car.” Mrs. Forte- Doyle eventually went to an all girls high school called the Academy of Mt. Saint Ursula. Seven years later, she went to Lehman College. Mrs. Forte- Doyle says, “I worked for seven years after the academy.” Lisa, in those seven years, was focusing on her singing career and travel. She majored in English and got a Bachelors.  Then at Tufts, she earned a Masters in English before getting a second Masters in Teaching English. In her life she worked in the Met Opera House, an acting school, and for a period of her life, she lived in Italy. When it comes to hobbies, she loved to sing and act but injured her voice.  Now, she loves to read, loves anything Italian, and fights for animals.

This year, Mrs. Forte-Doyle is teaching Creative Writing, Ninth Grade English, American Literature-Honors, and British Literature-CP and Honors in Monomoy High School. She used to teach Journalism and a film class. Most of all Mrs. Forte-Doyle loves teaching. When asked what her greatest event in life has been, Mrs. Forte-Doyle responded,  “Besides giving life to the world, it would be teaching. I’ve taught for twenty- six years and still love it.”

One of Mrs. Forte-Doyle’s students, Kyle Charlot, gives his opinion on this teacher. Kyle Charlot is eighteen years old and a senior at Monomoy Regional High School. Kyle takes Mrs. Forte-Doyle’s British Literature Honors class. Kyle states, “She has been really good at helping me improve my writing because she’s so harsh on me.”  Kyle also says that he has never had any problems with her as a teacher, saying “She is just herself around us, she doesn’t try to act like an adult, she just acts like a normal human being.” Many other students enjoy her company when they have Mrs. Forte-Doyle’s class.

All around the school, Lisa Forte-Doyle is well respected by the students. She has been involved with a lot of school activities, such as the school newspaper and the school magazine. She loves to teach at MRHS and is always straightforward with students.