Play Ball!!!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Play Ball!!!

Jeffrey Hauck and Kyle Richman, Contributors

The season just started for the freshman team. They have 12 people in total with three ninth graders and the rest are eighth graders. The boys are off to a rough start with a record of 0-3. The first game they were mercy-ruled by South Plymouth. Jeff Kimball caught and Andrew Clifford pitched. They next played Plymouth North where they lost 15-0. Andrew Clifford started with Kyle Richman on the mound. He went five innings and gave up four runs. After that Sam Ramler pitched one inning letting Plymouth run up 10 runs. Finally, Sean Robinson closed and gave up one run. The boys had a tough day at bat. They were off the entire spring break and got right back into action once they were back. They got rained out Monday but were at it Tuesday playing Plymouth South. Andrew Clifford started, Connor Nicholson came in after, and Sean Robinson closed with Jeff Kimball behind the plate as catcher. After a hard fought game the boys came up short and dropped the game 5-3. The team has been working hard at practice all year with their coach. Coach Olson is leading this team to get more wins and improve their skill. It is showing because the boys are losing by less and less. Andrew Clifford has been a star for the team, showing his great pitching skill. Both catchers have been strong behind the plate, and the boys are improving on fielding every day. They are also doing batting practice more often so they will be able to score more runs and get on base. The team played a game against Barnstable on April 25. Sean Robinson started pitching, followed by Charlie Seif and Andrew Clifford. Jeff Kimball was behind the plate. Although the boys started to pull together late in the game, it wasn’t enough to stop Barnstable. The boys dropped the game 15-3. Look for a win in their next game. The team is also making a contribution to the booster club by selling cookies. At the beginning of the season, every member of the team got a form to sell cookies. They came in six different flavors. The booster club has helped the school with many other sport utilities such as a batting cage in the gym that can be set up in under 10 minutes. The baseball team is also very dedicated to practicing. The freshman team practices every day after school, five days a week, for an hour and a half. They usually practice at the Harwich Recreation Center and hold home games there. However, when Brooks Park is available, they hold as many practices and games there as they can. The baseball team is off to a rough start, but they are committed and ready to fight back this season. Go Sharks!