MRHS Track Season 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

MRHS Track Season 2019

Ryan Borthwick, Contributor

The track season so far has been very competitive. MRHS has great runners and Captains, such as Steven Young, Perry Comeau and Jason Zaloom, that help push the other runners. The practices are normally split into two groups, distance and sprinters.

Distance runners normally go on a long run with a challenge to keep runners engaged. These challenges can be things like “Mad Minutes” where runners are challenged to run about seven miles while rotating members who go around race speed or 70% of their max speed for a minute. Then runners will rest for a minute and start jogging again before switching runners and starting over.

Sprinters normally work on blocks or practice sprinting drills. Sprinting drills work on your explosiveness like pushing yourself up off the ground and sprinting as hard as you can. The track team is quite stacked on distance runners because a lot of our runners also do cross country in the fall. Sprinters are a minority within the team but are very hard workers. The top sprinters normally don’t get beat in the team’s meets; they have done quite well for the team this season.

Track did win their first meet against Sacred Heart at their school. The second meet was against Cape Cod Tech and Sturgis at home. Other meets were against Martha’s Vineyard, Sandwich and Riverview. Next will be against Nauset and Sandwich at Nauset.

It’s been an exciting year of track so far, especially for Monomoy eighth grade students who are new to the sport.  Here’s to a strong finish!