Social Media: Positive or Negative?

Social media is made up of networks that allow people to create all sorts of designs, share information, ideas, career interests, and other forms of expression such as simple emojis. Social media has become a way of life to certain people. In 2017, statistics showed that humans spent two and a half hours a day looking on social media outlets. Is this network of sites that we use positive or negative to our lives?

The idea of social media came from the telegraph. The telegraph was a vague way of communication, but it came in handy at the time. Then in 1990, computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. While it’s often confused with the internet itself, the web is actually just the most common means of accessing data online in the form of websites and hyperlinks. Over the years, we have modified the internet to be what it is today.

Social media has been used in various ways. It has been used to make people happy and laugh, but in recent years it has been used to exhort negativity in the form of cyberbullying. Student of Monomoy Regional High School Jack Yuskatis says, “I think that social media can be used in both a positive and negative way, depending on the person.” Another Monomoy Student named Devin Manhaupt says, “It is mostly negative whenever I go onto it.” Unlike Devin, a student named Sam Thomas says, “It is usually positive when I check my phone.”

Many students say that it has a negative influence. With the recent development in technology,  cyberbullying has become a serious epidemic. Cyber attacks have increased on popular media outlets like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. In 2018, 26% of the United States’ population have been cyberbullied. The attacks can get so out of hand that they lead to suicides. It has become a very serious problem and will probably get worse in future years. 

Even with the amount of negative influence there is, some people do indeed spread positive influence. On the many different social media outlets, there are people who do good deeds for others. Sometimes, social media has even inspired others. For example, the One Tree Planted organization is a charity group that raises money in order to plant trees to save our planet. The organization has raised over two million dollars on social media.

When it comes to social media being positive or negative, it is fairly neutral. The internet has its pros and cons. It just depends how humans use this device.